So Fridays have switched from “whatever” night to “sandwich” night. Partly because I love sandwiches, and partly because Saturdays and Sundays are also “whatever” days. So tonight I made an apple and cheddar grilled cheese sandwich with a side of kale, apple and onion salad.
So, for the bread Husband decided he would make some home made quick bread. He makes really good bread. However this bread, while tasty, didn’t rise very high. Maybe an inch and a half? This made for very tricky sandwich art. Especially when it came to flipping it. So my suggestion is to get nice wide bread. Home made is wonderful, just… wide.
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 slices good bread of your choice (the lady I got this recipe from suggest sourdough, tho I used Husbands home made whole grain, and it tasted wonderful)
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 1 Fuji apple, thinly sliced
- mustard of your choice
- Heat the olive oil in a small skillet over medium. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes (or until very soft).
- Spread the mustard on one piece of bread and top with cheese, apples, and shallots. Top with another piece of bread.
- Cook in a skillet with a little melted butter until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden and crisp.
(I cook mine in a dry pan on medium heat. Cuts a few extra calories and keeps the bread from getting soggy. However, either way works wonderfully)