Friday night is “whatever” night. It’s my one week night that I get to cook whatever I want! Weekends are also whatever nights, but often Stephan isn’t home so I eat raw kale, or just have a late lunch and skip dinner, and when he is home he sometimes likes to cook.
So, I love spinach and avocado dip (I don’t eat it often because it’s all cheesy and wonderful and fattening), and both Husband and I love grilled cheese. It’s our favourite comfort food. So I did another gourmet grilled cheese tonight, this time mixing the dip and the sandwich!
I found this on Pinterest, but the recipe is from a site called A Couple Cooks
- Fresh spinach – enough for about 3 cups chopped
- Canned artichoke hearts – about 6 oz
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I used mozzarella)
- 4 pieces bread
- Kosher salt
- Butter or more olive oil
- Dice the 2 cloves garlic. Chop the artichokes. Wash and stem the spinach, then chop it coarsely.
- Heat about 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Then add the spinach and a pinch of kosher salt, and saute for a few minutes until just limp. Add the artichokes and saute for another minute or so, until heated through. Drain off any liquid from the pan. Stir in 2 tablespoons sour cream and another pinch of kosher salt.
- Spread butter (or olive oil) on one side of each of the 4 bread pieces. Heat a griddle pan to medium high heat. Place 2 pieces of bread on the griddle, buttered side down. On each piece, spread someshredded cheese, the spinach artichoke filling, some more cheese (1/2 cup cheese per sandwich), and the other piece of bread. When the bottom bread is browned, flip the sandwich and cook until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted.