Strawberry rhubarb pie is one of my favourite things. I had it for the first time only a few years ago, and just fell in love. So the other day I saw rhubarb for sale at the grocery store, so I grabbed some! Last night I made a really yummy new twist on the pie I have had in the past. It’s a bunch of fruit in a dish, topped with sugar cookie dough and baked. YUM!!!! Despite it’s almost all fruits, don’t be deceived, there is nothing healthy about this. Enjoy in moderation ^_^
I found this recipe on a site called Heather Christo Cooks
For the fruit filling:
- 5 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 3 cups rhubarb, diced
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 Tbs flour
For the sugar cookie topping:
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tsp sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, sugar and salt and pulse together. Add the butter and pulse to a fine crumb. Add the yolks and pulse until you have a smooth dough. Form into a disc and wrap in wax paper. Refrigerate while you prepare the fruit. (I was out of wax paper, so I just put the whole food processor bowl in the fridge. It worked fine)
- When you have cut all of the fruit, combine it together in a 9×13” baking dish.
- Toss the fruit with 2 Tbs flour and the ¼ cup sugar.
- Pull the dough out of the fridge and using a little powdered sugar or flour, roll out the dough into a roughly 9×13” rectangle while still on the wax paper.
- Use the wax paper to turn the dough out onto the top of the fruit.
- Sprinkle the top of the dough with the sugar.
- Bake the sugar cookie topped dish for 30 minutes, or until just golden around the edges.