So Husband and I love a simple dinner of grilled cheese and tomato soup. So today I decided I wanted to make a “gourmet” dinner. So what better than a gourmet favourite? This is the soup that went along with our Gourmet Grilled Cheese.
I followed the original recipe to the letter, but next time I would up the ratio of tomatoes to onion. Anyhow, here is my altered recipe (with already raised tomato/onion ratio).
- 2 pounds fresh tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves (skin on)
- 2 small Vidalia onions, cut in half (or 1 regular onion)
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried basi
- 2-4 cups water (depending on how thin/thick you like your soup)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Slice the tomatoes in halves and place them on a baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Place the garlic cloves and onion halves on a separate baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place both baking sheets in the oven and roast the vegetables until soft, about 20 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Peel the skin off the garlic cloves and place with the rest of the vegetables, in a food processor. Add about 2 cups of water and puree until smooth. Add more water to reach your preferred consistency. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper if desired.
If you, like me are trying to get other things made at the same time, pour the soup in a pot, turn the burner on low and let it sit until you’re ready