I eat pretty well. I am a vegetarian. I often eat raw or vegan. So, as any woman would tell you, that means it’s okay to cheat every now and again ^_^
I was craving something chocolaty and sweet last night, so I made skillet brownies. (yes, another Pinterest find.)
Also of note, I LOVE cooking in a cast iron skillet (I don’t let husband cook bacon it in, tho. No soap on cast iron, so no bacon!), but I had never though of baking a dessert in one! BRILLIANT!
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder (I just used Hershey’s cocoa powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (I don’t use milk, and I was out of soy, so I didn’t use any)
- 8 ounces chocolate chips or coarsely chopped chocolate
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar and eggs. In another bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, and salt.
In a medium cast iron skillet, bring butter and cream to a simmer over medium heat (As I said, I didn’t have any milk, so I used double the amount of butter and it worked well. More calories, but it worked!). Add chocolate; reduce to medium-low. Cook, stirring constantly, until chocolate has melted, about 1 minute. Remove from heat, and let cool 5 minutes.
Add chocolate mixture to sugar mixture, whisking until blended (reserve skillet). Fold in flour mixture. Pour batter into skillet.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. (for a gooeyer brownie bake for about 35 minutes) Serve from skillet, warm or at room temperature.