So last night I went to my friends Andrew and Stefanie’s house for a movie night. I have been itching to cook, and since husband is under the ocean, I don’t have a lot of oportunity to cook for other people. So I offered to bring some finger foods to accompany the movie. Also, both Stef and I are trying to eat healthy right now, both for health’s sake and for weight loss. So, this recipe and the following, are my healthy finger foods! I also made a raw spinach and artichoke dip, but it wasn’t as great as I had hoped…
I love love LOVE those tasty fried Mozzarella sticks. The kind you get in pubs, Sonic, or other such places. They are so yummy! But deep fried breaded cheese is far from healthy… so thanks to Pinterest (which is my new best friend) I found a great recipe for a healthier version of fried cheese. BAKED! Simple concept, easy to make, and yummy.
(In case you haven’t figured this out, clicking on the titles (below) takes you to the original recipe!)
- 12 sticks of string cheese in your choice of cheese (I used low fat mozzarella)
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp of flour
- 5 tbsp of bread crumbs (I used Italian-style)
- 2 tbsp of parmesan cheese
- A dollop of olive oil, or cooking spray
- Cut the cheese sticks in half, making 24 slices, then freeze the slices in the freezer until completely frozen
- Beat the egg in a small bowl. Use a separate bowl to combine the bread crumbs and parmesan cheese
- To bread the cheese sticks: First dip the frozen cheese stick into the flower, then into the egg, then into the bread crumb mixture
- Once all of the 24 sticks are coated, place them on a baking sheet covered with aluminum foil coated with a few drops of olive oil or sprayed with cooking spray (this will keep cleanup to a minimum, and keep the sticks from sticking!)
- Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for about 4 minutes, or until crisp. They need to be watched closely so they don’t melt completely!