I know it sounds a little weird, but this is an absolutely AMAZING recipe! Husband isn”t a fan of bean burritos, but he went crazy over this. Even took it to work the next day. Good for him, but sad for me, because I didn’t get to eat the rest of it ^_^
I got this recipe off a blog called Poor Girl Eats Well. There’s a link on my sidebar. She has an awesome blog about wonderful food for not much money. Husband loves when I cook from this site. For both reasons.
- 3-4 whole wheat flour tortillas
- 1 1-lb. butternut squash, diced into 1” cubes (I cut my squash in half and used that. Also, now I have another meal just ready to be made)
- 1 can black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 c fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 c diced yellow or red onion
- 2 T olive oil, divided
- 1/2 t salt, divided
- 1/4 t sugar
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 t minced garlic
- 1/4 t ground cumin
- 1/8 t cayenne pepper (optional)
- Salsa, sour cream and other burrito fixings of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a medium bowl toss together the squash, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, sugar and ground black pepper until the squash is evenly coated. Spread onto a foil lined baking sheet and roast for about 20 minutes, until the squash is tender and lightly browned. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and the garlic in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté for about 2 minutes or until they begin to soften. Next, add the drained black beans and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring gently. Finally, add the roasted squash and cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until everything is completely heated through.
- Now just put your burrito together, and enjoy!