I’m part of the Big Brothers Big Sisters program. So this week I decided to bake cookies with my little sister, Queenie. As it turns out, she had never baked cookies before. Never even had homemade cookies. To me, that’s almost unbelievable! Growing up, baking cookies (especially around the holidays) was not abnormal for me. But we live in two very different worlds. So I let her stir the batter and crack the eggs and measure the sugar. She had such fun! Especially when we got to roll the cookie dough in our hands. Cooking is messy, which is great fun ^_^
Anyhow, these cookies turned out to be AMAZING!!! Bake them. Do it now! ^_^
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (we did not use walnuts, or any nuts, because she does not like them)
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. This should take about 10 minutes! Add the eggs one at a time and mix to incorporate. Add the vanilla and mix thoroughly.
- In a 1 gallon plastic food bag, place the all-purpose flour, baking soda, kosher salt and cocoa powder. Seal the bag and massage the ingredients to combine. The mixture will appear homogenous with no separate ingredients showing.
- Add the flour and cocoa mix to the creamed butter and sugar. Mix together until the dough appears completely combined – about 3 minutes. Add all the walnuts and chocolate chips and stir them into the dough. Drop by two teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Or roll into balls, place about two inches apart on the sheet, and flatten slightly with your fingers.
- Bake for 11 minutes at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). The cookies will appear to be just barely firm with a sheen to their surfaces. Allow to cool on the sheet for about one minute before removing to a cooling rack to cool completely. Store in airtight containers.
We had to cook our cookies for like 20 minutes due to the fact that we made ours huge ^_^